What is the Australian Grand Slam of Surfing?
The Australian Grand Slam of Surfing is a series of three WSL professional surfing events held at the following locations:
- Boost Mobile Pro Gold Coast: South Stradbroke Island, Gold Coast, QLD
- Tweed Coast Pro: Cabarita Beach, Tweed Heads, NSW
- Margaret River Pro: Margaret River, WA
When will the events be held?
There will be a waiting period during 1st September - 31st October 2020. If the swell is firing at one of the three locations, competitors will be given three day’s notice to travel to the destination and prepare for the event. Each event runs for just two days.
The green light has already been given for the Tweed Coast Pro which is set to kick-off this Sunday 13th September 2020.
How can I watch the events?
All the events will be live streamed on the WSL website here. Due to the covid-19 pandemic, live spectators will be prohibited from watching on the beach.
Who will compete?
The events will feature Australian surfers only. The 24 surfers (12 men and 12 women) have been selected on the following basis:
- The first 10 male and 8 female spots have been allocated to the highest ranked WSL Championship Tour surfers.
- The remaining 2 male and 4 female spots will be allocated to either the highest ranked WSL Qualifying Series athletes or wild card surfers.
Some big names competing this weekend include Stephanie Gilmore, Sally Fitzgibbons, Owen Wright and Julian Wilson.
What’s the prize?
The winner of each event will have $20,000 donated to their selected charity.